Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bretagne Costumes

My parents traveled to Bretagne (France) last year and took pictures of historic costumes presented in an exhibition at Château de Suscinio. I get to present them to you now because my Mom just sent them to me. (Isn't it lovely to have a family who knows you so well, they take pictures of their vacation with you in mind?)

Men and Women Costumes from the first half of the 19th century

Men and Women Costumes from the second half of the 19th century

Men and Women Costumes from the 19th century

The Château also has some historical animation; as the castle dates from the 13th to the 15th century, their focus is mostly Medieval History.

Two Women doing the laundry

This last picture is of a collection of Coiffes Bretonnes. Unfortunately, the picture is a little fuzzy and I don't have a date (according to my mother, they are "classical Breton coifs from the Middle Ages", but - and no offense Mom - she has difficulty with the difference between Medieval and 18th century costumes, so I doubt it), but I'm guessing from the dresses that it is 19th century. Also, I believe they might be from different regions of Bretagne because I can make out names under each pictures, such as Pays de Saint-Pol-de-Léon, but again, I'm just guessing.

Coiffes de Bretagne

Pretty impressive if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment