Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sweet Cake Costumes

My favorite Blog out there is unequivocally Cake Wrecks. It could be due to my sweet tooth. Or it could be due to Jen Yates' witty comments. Whatever the reason, I read it everyday.

I was first introduced to Cake Wrecks by Nancy-Raven, herself a baker, who is more often than not appalled by what she calls "an embarrassment to the profession".

After a year of daily Cake "Wreckations", Jen has presented the world with her book, Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong.

She is currently touring the U.S. to promote her book with her husband John. With them in mind, knowing their love of cake and Cosplay (lucky them, they got to go to Dragon*Con), I thought I could show my support by looking around to find some cake costumes. And lo and behold, I found some.

First, we have the pre-packaged, cute and sexy, vaguely cake-inspired costume:

(I guess we could say she went through the cake...)

Then, there is the Mascot Cake costume (but it does not come cheap - sale price of 769$!):


Better than the two previous ones is this next one:


It helps that the model is adorable. I found this one on a website called Coolest Homemade Halloween Costume Ideas and they have a collection of homemade cake and cupcake costumes. The one I've presented to you was made by Tracey C. of Smithville, OH, and she used 1/2" thick foam, cardboard, various trimmings and a battery-operated Christmas candle (for the hat), for a total of 15$ USD. I Love it. I like it better than the 800$ mascot costume.

Finally, and this is my favorite, I found this dress:


It was made by Jan Saathoff of A Stitch in Time, a professional costume designer from Austin, TX. It is lovely. It brings images of summer dresses and a ballet tutus to my mind.

These have got to be the best cakes for costumers: no calories!

Best wishes to Jen and John Yates on their Cake Wrecks "World" Tour!

Edit: I have learned that the book tour has been cancelled due to both Jen and John being sick (John is still in critical condition). I guess this post will have to act as a "Get Well Soon" message to them, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment