Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Costumes on the Red Carpet: 67th Golden Globe® Awards

As promised, here is my report on the Star's Red Carpet dresses as seen at the 67th Golden Globe® Awards last Sunday. As usual, they are in no specific order (but I do tend to keep the ones I like the most for the end).

Note: All pictures were borrowed from ET Online for costume study purposes.

Tina Fey on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

Tina Fey's dress is a mix between a 1950's Cocktail dress and some Victorian underwear (Crinoline). Cute, but not really my cup of tea.

Mo'Nique on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

What is an Award show in Hollywood without a Classical Dress! And by Classical, I don't mean that it's a classic (which of course it is); I'm talking about the original sense of the term, meaning inspired by the Ancient World.

Toni Colette on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

Now this dress I like. The shape and pattern is very reminiscent of the 1930's and the Art Deco movement.

Anna Kendrick on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

This could make a nice Snow/Ice Queen dress...

Kate Hudson on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

Asymmetrical, futuristic designs are very trendy right now, just as platform shoes are. I wonder then, since Kate Hudson looks like she has just walked off a Runway, why some supposed "Fashion Experts" have bashed her outfit? Just a thought.

Personally, I call this outfit "Deep Space Bride". (For those who need me to paint a picture, it's a pun on Deep Space Nine - duh!)

AnnaLynne McCord on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

This dress looks like it came from a Manga! Just look at the impossible Décolleté!

Diane Kruger on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

Ah! What a pretty spring flower. But it's only January!

Cher on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

You can always count on Cher to wear something outrageous, but I seriously would wear that dress. I love the asymmetry, the mix of lacing with antique looking lace, and the pointed bodice. It is Steampunk Goth on the Red Carpet.

Drew Barrymore on the red Carpet of the 67th Golden Globe® Awards

"It's a bloody coral reef!" That was my instant reaction when I saw this dress. I'm not too sure about the one on the hip, which looks more like a half bumroll, but you have to admire the workmanship! Wish I knew how to make that. I bet Drew is thinking "Some form of rock - Check!" (Yes, I know coral is actually not a rock, it's a living organism).

Now I want to conclude on a more serious note. Did you notice the ribbons many of the stars wore? They were to show support for Haiti. I haven't mentioned last week's Earthquake on this Blog be cause I frankly didn't know what to say. After all, I'm always talking about fun things relating to costumes, and there is nothing fun about a disaster such as that one. Haiti was already not all that strong politically and economically before, but now they are completely beaten down by the events. So I take this occasion to encourage all my readers to find a way to help. My Sweetheart and I have chosen to give money to two charities: the Red Cross, for immediate support, and Oxfam to help rebuild once the crisis is over. Lets count our blessings and help those in need; costumers are generous people too!

No comments:

Post a Comment