Thursday, February 4, 2010

Costumes on the Red Carpet: 52nd Grammy® Awards

I am long over due to talk about the dresses seen at last week-end's 52nd Grammy® Awards. This time, I didn't limit myself only to the Red Carpet as there were original pieces to be found throughout the evening.

So without further ado, here are my favourite (or the ones tat just popped out of the lot).

Carrie Ann Inaba on the Red Carpet of the 52nd Grammy® Awards

This first dress worn by Dancing with the Stars judge Carrie Ann Inaba isn't really a costume, but I loved the display of the current Origami trend. Looks good on her too!

Rihanna on the Red Carpet of the 52nd Grammy® Awards

Also very trendy are feathers and clothes that are meant to drastically change the silhouette. Rihanna pulls it off beautifully. But It does look like she is entering for the Miss Hoth pageant (for those of you who missed it, that was a reference to Star Wars).

Fergie on the Red Carpet of the 52nd Grammy® Awards

Sorry Fergie, I can't help it.

"Beam me up, Scotty!"

Imogen Heap on the Red Carpet of the 52nd Grammy® Awards

Talk about a girl of the 21st century! Imogen Heap's Twitter Dress apparently has a Wi-Fi connection, flashing lights, her necklace lets her tweet with her fans and her purse has an interactive screen. It sort of reminds me of some of the 1930's prediction for fashion (see Fashion Forward: Futuristic looks from the 1930's).

Also, I have to know where she got her umbrella: it is perfect for Sayuri's Winter Dance costume.

Ciara on the Red Carpet of the 52nd Grammy® Awards

Oh Ciara, Cher wants her clothes back!

I didn't really follow the show (Tout le monde en parle was starting again on that night), but one trend for performers is to arrive in one dress, have a costume to sing in (I can understand that), and then a different dress to accept your award in, I'm guessing because it was after their performances and they were then sweaty (I really don't know why, I'm just trying to guess).

For instance, here we have Beyoncé at the beginning of the evening:

Beyoncé on the Red Carpet of the 52nd Grammy® Awards

She is wearing a beautiful dress with Art Deco and Tribal tone on tone prints.

Then she changes for her performance (understandable):

Beyoncé performing at the 52nd Grammy® Awards

Interesting outfit, apparently made of leather and studs.

Finally, she has yet another dress to accept her award in:

Beyoncé accepting an award at the 52nd Grammy® Awards

At first I thought her dress was made of Pop-tabs, but it is actually layers of chains of different sizes. If this is all metal, it was probably heavy! But I've made up my mind: I'm making a Pop-tab dress and I'll see if I can get someone to wear it at an award show!

Speaking of constant costume changes, guess who also did it? My favourite, Lady GaGa of course!

Lady GaGa on the Red Carpet of the 52nd Grammy® Awards

Twinkle, twinkle little star... Unless she is a Cyclone. On thing is for sure, you have to admire anyone who can manage to walk with such shoes on!

Lady GaGa performing at the 52nd Grammy® Awards

It's space age looking, and it's Seafoam!

Lady GaGa with her awards at the 52nd Grammy® Awards

Ice Queen or Ice Capades? Get rid of the hat and this dress could be seen on the ice at the Vancouver Olympics!

Finally, I must mention P!nk's performance costume, if only because I am a huge fan of Bob Mackie's work.

P!nk performing at the 52nd Grammy® Awards

At first she looks like a 21st century Goddess.

P!nk performing Glitter in the Air at the 52nd Grammy® Awards

The she took off the dress, revealing the very revealing bodysuit and she soared up into the air.

Bob Mackie's original sketch for P!nk's "Glitter in the Air" outfit as seen at the 52nd Grammy® Awards

By the way, this is the original sketch by Bob Mackie (from his Facebook page). It looks awesome!

If you would like to see the performance again, just go to YouTube: Pink - Glitter in the Air - Grammy Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment